Northside Baptist Church (NBC) has been preaching the Gospel in Modesto for many years. Over the past year a transition has taken place after the retirement of Dr. McCain and Mrs. McCain after almost 20 years. Pastor Jeff Bowersock assumed the role of pastor in October 2015. Pastor Bowersock and his wife Roxanne have served the Lord together for nearly 35 years.
Northside Baptist Church is Independent. In its history the church has been associated with the California Association of Regular Baptist Churches (CARBC), which was a voluntary fellowship. It is no longer a part of that fellowship, but chooses to cooperate with churches of likemind for projects, missions and fellowship. The church is autonomous.
Northside Baptist Church is Baptist. That statement may sound a bit redundant, but often churches use descriptive names like "The Journey" or "Adventure" etc. Almost all of these churches have a doctrinal position and many of them are "baptistic" but choose not to indentify themselves as Baptist for various reasons. Culture often identifies churches and redefines them so that the name is not clearly understood. Baptist churches believe in a few "distinctives":
1. Bible - We believe that the Bible is inspired, preserved, complete and authoritative.
2. Churches - We believe that churches are autonomous and consist of members who have been saved, baptized and are of like faith.
3. Salvation is the free gift of God, bought by the shed blood of Jesus for our sins. It is by grace, through faith, apart from works. It is eternal because we are sealed with the Holy Ghost, secured by and preserved by the power of God.
4. Baptism is for those who have put their faith in the Lord Jesus Christ and serves as a picture of the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus. It is a public testimony of faith and a challenge to walk in newness of life. Baptism is not necessary for salvation, but is an act of faith and obedience.
5. The Priesthood of the believer. Every believer is a priest and has access to the Father through the Son. We are told to come boldly to the throne of grace to obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need. Jesus is our one, true High Priest who lives to make intercession for us according the the will of God.
6. The Lord's supper is an ordinance instituted by Christ at the "Last Supper". The unleavened bread and the "fruit of the vine" aptly represent the body and blood of Christ. We are instructed to observe it as often as we will to remember the Lord's death until He comes.